Home : Cape Verde Forum : Contact
Versión Española Español
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Weather in August
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:13 pm 

Hi,

We are thinking of going to the Cape Verde islands (Sal) in August.
I have read that this is the start of the rainy season there, is it a bad idea to go at that time of year?

Post subject: Re: Weather in August (and Mosquitoes?)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:52 am 

We are out in August too and I was wondering if there are many mosquitoes and weather I should bring spray, plug ins and stuff like that? Im a bit of a magnet for them but no point in brining all the stuff with me if there arent any or many.

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Weather in August
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:57 am 

From what I've been reading, I'd bring stuff with you. Some people say it's quite bad, whilst others say they haven't had a problem - I always proceed with caution when it comes to mozzies as they love me too. Bring spray/cream with you. I also bring plug-ins with me for the bedroom too.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 am 

Be careful with mozzies as there is a risk of Zika Virus and I think dengue too.

From what I've been reading up, bring long sleeved tops and trousers for evening and apply spray/cream.

Zika is more harmful to pregnant women as it can effect the unborn child, but otherwise there are very few that are gravely affected. Same with dengue - its like the worst flu you've ever had and you may need to be hospitalised for fluids if it gets really bad - not generally not life threatening.

BUT - its not really something that should stop you visiting and from what I've been reading on forums, no-one whos come on holiday recently has been effected.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:56 am 

Thanks guys and sorry for the late reply. Its either all or nothing with me :) (I just forget to log-in.... maybe I should tick that little box that says "notify me when a reply is posted" :roll: :roll: :roll: !)

Will take stuff with me and bring long cotton/linen trousers and long sleeved blouse for evenings to over up too.

Oh and yes, I'll deffo bring plug in's for the bedroom too!

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:21 am 

I don't tend to be affected but my partner does.....We haven't noticed too many, but perhaps it varies depending on the time of year?

Best thing as you say is to bring stuff with you. I don't have much of a problem, but do wear long trousers and long-sleeved shirt of evenings.

I think those mozzie' wristbands are naff - going of what my partner and friends say.....but spray / cream (DEET) really does work - we've used it in South East Asia and by god you need it there! DEET all the way!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:56 am 

The Weather and Climate Guide in the Menu on the left of the screen says:

"If the rains do arrive, it is usually between August and October (the "Rainy Season"), when it can be uncomfortable at times with high temperatures and high humidity."

- I wonder if this has something to do with the mozzies too? I.e. are there more of them around at this time because its rainy season?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:36 am 

That could well be the case.

I suppose if it rains and there is stagnant water than it makes a good breeding ground for the mosquitoes......